Designated as an “All-America County” by the National Civic League, Howard County is one of the nation’s most outstanding places to live, work and play! Howard County has a balanced blend of pastoral farms, historic towns, suburban communities and urban lifestyle. Diversity surrounds you, from Columbia’s world-class shopping mall to Historic Ellicott City’s Main Street, filled with antiques, boutiques and cozy restaurants.
- Road Versus Rails – Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum, Ellicott City Station
- Ellicott’s Mills – Thomas Isaac Log Cabin
- Moving Goods on the National Road – Howard County Living Farm Heritage Museum
- New Lisbon – Lisbon Elementary School
- Simpson and Mt. Gregory Churches – Simpson United Methodist Church
- Poplar Springs – Drover’s Restaurant
- Baltimore City
- Baltimore County
- Howard County
- Carroll County
- Frederick County
- Washington County
- Allegany County
- Garrett County
“I got stumped”– in the very early days, travelers used newly cut paths that often include tree stumps. Sometimes higher stumps created impassable conditions with those traveling in large wagons.